Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Thar She Blows!

(originally written 10-8-2007)

It's that time again...the dogs are starting to blow their coats. Keep in mind that these dogs shed like crazy year-round, and your clothes are generally going to be adorned with decorative Siberian fringe. However, when coat-blowing times hits, look out! The yard starts to look like a cotton field of Husky undercoat, and if the slightest breeze is blowing, you might find yourself caught in a blizzard of fuzz.

The thing that amazes me the most, though, is that I will brush these dogs every day, sometimes several times a day, and huge clumps of hair, handfuls of hair come out each time, and they STILL have bodies full of hair left. With all of the hair coming out, you would think they would be as bald as my father-in-law.

A few days ago, Dougal, my big white boy, leaned his head down to check out a particular piece of hair that I had brushed off his back. When he looked back up at me, a long piece of fur was attached to just under his chin, looking like a long white beard. That, coupled with the big grin on his face, sent me into fits of laughter. He looked like a cross between a canine Santa Clause and a turban-less Al-Qaida member, except he hasn't used Just for Men like the latest video of Osama bin Laden shows. Well, that, and I doubt Osama bin Laden grins like a Siberian Husky...he doesn't have their good nature!

But back to the coat blowing...the next few weeks mean that I will be sporting a fashionable Husky fur shirt and trousers wherever I go, and the dogs might look a bit ragged around the edges until they finish blowing coat. IF we are lucky enough, though, to actually enjoy a winter season this year (lately I have been despairing that it will be forever warm), the dogs will grow their winter coats, and when they are in "full coat," they are absolutely glorious to behold.

In the meantime, maybe I'll collect that undercoat and knit some scarves, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment